Pages

▼

Friday, September 04, 2026

In which I agree with Kemi Badenoch

There are not many views I share with the Tories (if any) and even fewer occasions where I believe that Kemi Badenoch is on the right track, but her assertion that Reform UK’s decision to ban some journalists from its conference shows that Nigel Farage would use state power to target opponents and be authoritarian in government is spot on. 

The Independent reports:

Answering questions after a speech on defence in London, the Conservative leader was asked about Reform’s decision to refuse accreditation to a series of journalists for its conference this week.

One of the journalists was Anna Isaac, the Guardian’s City editor, who broke the story that Farage had accepted an undeclared £5m gift from the crypto billionaire Christopher Harborne.

Farage’s attacks on the media were “very personal” at times, Badenoch said, also citing the targeting of journalists by Zia Yusuf, Reform’s home affairs spokesperson.

She continued: “I think you could … [see] what kind of government they would be – authoritarian and using state power actually to pursue opponents is what they’ve effectively been threatening.

“We believe in free speech. We believe in a free press. And yes, of course, that might be painful for us as politicians, but public scrutiny is part of the gig. If Nigel Farage can’t handle difficult questions about his dodgy £5m then he shouldn’t be a politician.”

This is absolutely right. Just like Trump, Reform UK do not like scrutiny and have little or no tolerance for opposition, preferring to brand anybody who disagrees with them as the establishment seeking to shut down their so-called insurgency.

The reality of course is that Reform UK is stuffed full of establishment figures and are pursuing an agenda that aligns with the interests of the powerful and wealthy. They have little or no interest in the needs of ordinary people and their communities.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am happy to address most contributions, even the drunken ones if they are coherent, but I am not going to engage with negative sniping from those who do not have the guts to add their names or a consistent on-line identity to their comments. Such postings will not be published.

Anonymous comments with a constructive contribution to make to the discussion, even if it is critical will continue to be posted. Libellous comments or remarks I think may be libellous will not be published.

I will also not tolerate personation so please do not add comments in the name of real people unless you are that person. If you do not like these rules then start your own blog.

Oh, and if you persist in repeating yourself despite the fact I have addressed your point I may get bored and reject your comment.

The views expressed in comments are those of the poster, not me.