.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Saturday, August 29, 2026

The Church at the heart of Mumbles

If you walk down Mumbles Road towards the pier, past the White Rose pub, the former watering hole of Hywel Bennett, and past the famous Joe's Ice Cream Parlour, where the now Prince of Wales insisted on being served chocolate ice cream, you will come to an arched entrance through which are some steps and a path leading to the medieval church that is at the centre of Mumbles life.
All Saints' Church, Oystermouth, is a Grade II listed Anglican church, described as "a large church with substantial medieval fabric and good interior detail, including early medieval piscina, font, and C20 glass". It stands on a hillside, not far from Oystermouth Castle.

As Wikipedia records, the building is estimated to have been built in the mid-12th century, having first been mentioned in writing in 1141. The church was substantially reconstructed in 1915, adding a new nave and chancel and a north aisle.

As previously referred to on this blog, the stained glass in the church includes a memorial window in the north aisle commemorating the Mumbles lifeboat disaster, installed to mark the 30th anniversary of the tragedy in 1977. It remembers the loss of all eight crew members of the lifeboat RNLB Edward, Prince of Wales while attempting to rescue the crew of the steamship Samtampa, which was wrecked during a gale on 23 April 1947.

The window was designed and manufactured by Tim Lewis who undertook three more commissions for windows in the church, all made at Glantawe Studios. 

The next to be installed, in 1985, was Lewis's innovative and modern take on the Last Supper. Across two lights it depicts the table from above with only the hands of Jesus and the disciples shown. It can be found in the west end of the north aisle. 

Lewis's two-light window depicting the Adoration of the Senses was installed in the south aisle in 1986, using images of people, flora, fauna and water to represent each of the senses. Further along the same wall Lewis's three-light window based on the text of Dylan Thomas's poem Fern Hill was installed in 1993. It shows five figures in an allegorical landscape that alludes to episodes within the poem, the text of which is reproduced at the bottom of the window.

As has also been referred to here, the most notable grave in the churchyard is that of the English doctor and editor Thomas Bowdler, who died in Swansea in 1825. It once housed the famous bells of Santiago.

The church is used for services on Remembrance Sunday and its churchyard contains one of the two war memorials in Mumbles. It also hosts many concerts and even public meetings on controversial local issues.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?