Sunday, August 31, 2025
Losing the plot with the local media
I remember that when the now defunct West Glamorgan County Council opened its brand spanking-new headquarter building in 1981, the then chief executive became so pissed off with the South Wales Evening Post and its reporting style, that he tried to ban copies of the paper from the building altogether. Needless to say, he didn't try to go so far as to prevent county councillors talking to the publication altogether.
Reform councillors on Nottingham County Council have no such qualms. As the Guardian reports, the editor of the Nottingham Post has accused the council's Reform leader’s decision to ban his councillors from engaging with the prominent local newspaper as a “massive attack on local democracy” and a sign of things to come should the party form the next government.
The criticism comes as Nottinghamshire county council’s four-month-old Reform administration said it will no longer deal with the Nottingham Post, its online edition and a team of BBC-funded local democracy journalists that it manages:
Nigel Farage is already facing calls to intervene in the row, with local MPs accusing Reform of “rank hypocrisy” over its previous claims to support free speech and transparency. Lee Anderson, the Reform MP for Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, has said he will join in the boycott.
In an interview with the Guardian, Natalie Fahy, the editor of the Nottingham Post and Nottinghamshire Live, said the ban had come from Mick Barton, the county council’s leader, after a story about plans for a restructuring of local government. She said it was a worrying sign of Reform’s approach to the free press.
“It’s a massive attack on local democracy,” she said. “I’ve been a journalist for 20 years. We have had our ups and downs with all kinds of councils. We managed to get along fine, because most elected officials accept this is par for the course. You are going to get some negative press. What you don’t do is shut the shop up.
“This is a worrying sign of potentially things to come if Reform wins the next election. What you’re seeing here in Nottinghamshire is probably a microcosm of how it will be across the whole of the UK if Nigel Farage becomes prime minister. You are just going to see this kind of shutting down of questioning.
“They need to be answerable to the people who elected them. We don’t take a political stance. We’re not anti-Reform. We’re just trying to find out what’s going on.”
The move has already caused concern among other parties. The Lib Dems have written to Farage to demand that he step in to reverse the “dangerous and chilling” decision. They also suggested that the move may have breached local government’s code of conduct, which calls on elected officials to “submit themselves to the scrutiny”.
The row in Nottinghamshire has been rumbling since a clip of an interview in June with a local councillor, in which they appeared to have only a loose grasp of their brief, went viral online.
Relations appeared to improve and Reform figures were engaging with the local reporters. However, Barton cut access after raising objections to a story examining plans for a reorganisation of local government, which included alleged disagreements within the Reform group of councillors.
Under the ban, none of the 41 Reform councillors will speak to Nottinghamshire Live and local democracy reporters. The outlet has been told press officers have also been instructed to take Nottinghamshire Live off council media distribution lists, meaning it will not receive some press releases or be invited to events.
The media perform an important role within the democratic process in scrutinising and reporting on what politicians are up to. If Reform councillors feel that they can't cope with that then they should step aside so more competent candidates can do the job instead.
Reform councillors on Nottingham County Council have no such qualms. As the Guardian reports, the editor of the Nottingham Post has accused the council's Reform leader’s decision to ban his councillors from engaging with the prominent local newspaper as a “massive attack on local democracy” and a sign of things to come should the party form the next government.
The criticism comes as Nottinghamshire county council’s four-month-old Reform administration said it will no longer deal with the Nottingham Post, its online edition and a team of BBC-funded local democracy journalists that it manages:
Nigel Farage is already facing calls to intervene in the row, with local MPs accusing Reform of “rank hypocrisy” over its previous claims to support free speech and transparency. Lee Anderson, the Reform MP for Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, has said he will join in the boycott.
In an interview with the Guardian, Natalie Fahy, the editor of the Nottingham Post and Nottinghamshire Live, said the ban had come from Mick Barton, the county council’s leader, after a story about plans for a restructuring of local government. She said it was a worrying sign of Reform’s approach to the free press.
“It’s a massive attack on local democracy,” she said. “I’ve been a journalist for 20 years. We have had our ups and downs with all kinds of councils. We managed to get along fine, because most elected officials accept this is par for the course. You are going to get some negative press. What you don’t do is shut the shop up.
“This is a worrying sign of potentially things to come if Reform wins the next election. What you’re seeing here in Nottinghamshire is probably a microcosm of how it will be across the whole of the UK if Nigel Farage becomes prime minister. You are just going to see this kind of shutting down of questioning.
“They need to be answerable to the people who elected them. We don’t take a political stance. We’re not anti-Reform. We’re just trying to find out what’s going on.”
The move has already caused concern among other parties. The Lib Dems have written to Farage to demand that he step in to reverse the “dangerous and chilling” decision. They also suggested that the move may have breached local government’s code of conduct, which calls on elected officials to “submit themselves to the scrutiny”.
The row in Nottinghamshire has been rumbling since a clip of an interview in June with a local councillor, in which they appeared to have only a loose grasp of their brief, went viral online.
Relations appeared to improve and Reform figures were engaging with the local reporters. However, Barton cut access after raising objections to a story examining plans for a reorganisation of local government, which included alleged disagreements within the Reform group of councillors.
Under the ban, none of the 41 Reform councillors will speak to Nottinghamshire Live and local democracy reporters. The outlet has been told press officers have also been instructed to take Nottinghamshire Live off council media distribution lists, meaning it will not receive some press releases or be invited to events.
The media perform an important role within the democratic process in scrutinising and reporting on what politicians are up to. If Reform councillors feel that they can't cope with that then they should step aside so more competent candidates can do the job instead.