.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

A plain speaking minister

It is possible that we have not had such a straight-talking, plain-speaking minister since Edwina Curry so Anna Soubry had better watch out that she does not get egg on her face.

The Guardian reports on an interview with the public health minister in which she says that she only got that post because David Cameron saw it as the "soft bloody girly option":

Soubry said she privately questioned the prime minister's judgment when he offered her the post during a meeting in the cabinet room in Downing Street. "To be quite frank, when the PM said to me: 'I want you to do public health,' I thought: 'Oh boss, I respect you so much, but I'm the only woman here and I get public health – I hope there's no connection there.'

"Maybe I can make people realise that this is not a soft bloody girly option, it is a big serious job. I'm a huge fan of our prime minister … but I did sit there in the cabinet room and think: 'Boss, you do know what you've just done? You've given public health to the girl again, except I'm not a girl, I'm a tough old bird.'"

In her interview Soubry criticised Tories – guilty of "doom and gloominess" in her words – who have been speculating about Cameron's future. She said: "When people talk about such-and-such a person as an alternative to Cameron, there is no vacancy … What we now need to do is stop people in the party engaging in quite a lot of twattery, and to accept that we've achieved a huge amount, and it's all to play for.

"I came into politics to fight lefties … That's where political fighting goes. The Tory party must learn from its own history that when we fight each other, you can guarantee to lose."

How refreshing. We need more politicians like this.
Comments:
She seems to be the only one who sees the job as the "soft bloody girly option". What's her evidence for her contention that that's how the PM (or anone else) sees it?

Silly.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?