.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Will I stand again for the Assembly?

Last Friday was the closing date to apply to be a Welsh Liberal Democrat Assembly candidate for constituencies around Wales. I did not put my name into the hat.

I took this decision after long and hard consideration. The Welsh Liberal Democrats came within 500 votes of winning Swansea West, within my region at the General Election. There is every possibility that they can build on that success and take this seat in 2011.

However, there is no point in just swapping a regional Assembly Member for a constituency AM, which is what the system is designed to do. We need to build the Welsh Liberal Democrat group beyond the six members we have had since 1999. That means that we need to win Swansea West and hold the regional seat.

I have represented Swansea, Neath, Port Talbot, part of RCT and Bridgend as a regional member since 1999. I very much enjoy that role. I have not abused that position by concentrating on only one part of the area. I have held surgeries and dealt with casework in all parts of my region, whether it be Maesteg, Llanharan, Gilfach Goch, Porthcawl, Rhossili, Gorseinon, Winch Wen, Manselton, Killay, Sketty, Uplands, Glynneath, Port Talbot or Glyncorrwg.

I have taken up issues and campaigns on behalf of local people, given evidence at planning inquiries, supported local organisations and visited a range of venues and projects across the whole area. I feel that I have an affinity with every part of my region, not just Swansea where I live and have spent my whole political life. I cannot easily turn my back on that.

Of course I am taking a gamble. That is the nature of my profession. Like Glyn Davies in 2007 I could easily become a victim of my party's success. However, on the basis of the votes cast in May this year, the Welsh Liberal Democrats could win both Swansea West and a regional seat in 2011.

But to do that we need to have the right candidate topping the regional list. That is why I have decided to stay with the list and seek my party's nomination to top it once more later this year. To be frank I believe that I have a 50-50 chance of being re-elected, with Swansea West looking a very good bet indeed for the Welsh Liberal Democrats. But if I did not do this then we might have a lesser chance of winning both seats.

This has not been an easy decision but I am convinced it is the right one.
Comments:
"The Welsh Liberal Democrats came within 500 votes of winning Swansea West, within my region at the General Election."

That achievement was made on very different grounds to the way you are operating in government.

"We need to build the Welsh Liberal Democrat group beyond the six members we have had since 1999."

Yes, you really do! I am pretty sure Kirsty Williams' plan to achieve that did not involve joining up with the Tories at Westminster.
 
Except that Labour was not interested in staying in government and they will suffer for that. They will also suffer for the mess that they left the country in and people understand that to put it right involves some pain. Actually, given the amount of Lib Dem policy in the coalition agreement I think the Tories are with us not the other way round.
 
Good luck, Peter.
 
There's a good chance of the Liberal Democrats winning both Swansea West and a regional seat in South West.

Nevertheless, provided that the Liberal Democrats don't select a complete numpty in Swansea West it seems like a good place to send a donation to help ease you out
 
Peter Why not come over to Ceredigion and help us oust Elin Jones.Or her replacement, if as indicated in her recent speech to FUW she stands down because she realises her policy to Exterminate badgers in north pembs is widely unpopular.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?