.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Gone swimming

Tuesday's debate on the All-Wales smoking ban showed the Assembly at its best in my view. There were contributions from a large number of members, most of whom were well-informed on the issues and had valid views to put across. The highlight however was Carl Sargeant's characterisation of Leanne Wood's amendment which regretted that no exemptions exist to permit smoking in a fully ventilated room in licensed premises where no person works:

Carl Sargeant: Today is a red-letter day for Wales, due to this progressive Welsh policy that we are delivering across the Chamber, with cross-party support. I acknowledge some of the amendments that have been tabled, but I am not sure whether the wording of Leanne Wood’s amendment is correct. I do not believe that a room that is never serviced by anyone actually exists, and I am not sure about the ventilation aspects of such a room. My understanding is—and this was put to me quite crudely—that it is similar to weeing in a swimming pool; no matter where you are, someone gets a bit. We may not all agree with that, and I apologise if that offends you, Llywydd, but that was how it was put to me. I am sure that it will appear on Glyn’s weblog this evening.

As ever Carl showed a remarkable awareness of the Assembly's bloggers. Glyn Davies did indeed have it on his blog that night, as now do I. Perhaps Carl will now be inspired to update his own blog, a point made most forcibly by the Blamerbell Briefs blog.

The other highlight was the First Minister opting for brevity in answering questions:

The First Minister: The problem with the rural development plan is that you either give a three-word answer or you have to give a three-day answer, which I do not want to do. I will try to give a three-line answer: we cannot finalise the detail of the successor rural development plan until agreement is reached on the commission’s legislative proposals for the operation, from this year, of the voluntary modulation regime.

Maybe next time we will get the three word answer.
Comments:
It was my question (about the date that the Rural Development Plan would be submitted) to the First Minister and since it was Question 15 on the 'order paper' I hadn't expected to reach it. I had to think of my 'supplementary question' on the spur of the moment - and asked about 'Voluntary Modulation' which I thought would floor him. I didn't expect him to have a clue. I was floored myself when it became obvious that he had a briefing on the matter in his 'Answers file'. His back-up team had prepared him well.
 
Sorry, I really should read what I type before hitting the publish button ...

The First Minister (FM) is an Oxford and Harvard man, so on the education front the present FM is a double-whammy man, an EDWM. A typical EDWM/EDWW is able to handle big words with ease, but might have problems remembering (half way through dressing) if he/she is getting ready for the day ahead or an evenings sleep. These confusing situations can lead to tardiness, a crumpled appearance, and failure to arrive on time at important national events.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?