.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Plain Speaking

Apparently, First Minister Rhodri Morgan has become the first person to win a high-profile UK award for the most baffling statement of the year twice.

Judges awarded him this year's Plain English Campaign "Foot in Mouth" prize for comments during an Assembly debate on policing when he said, "The only thing which isn't up for grabs is no change and I think it's fair to say it's all to play for, except for no change."

Rhodri previously won the award in 1998 for his celebrated "one-legged duck" remark on BBC's Newsnight. Edwina Hart also gets a mention for her eminently sensible contribution to the debate on police reform when she said:

"Let's get the anger and frustration out today but let's not take our eye off the ball. I'm not saying we will win the day but the day we have to win might not be the day next year but it might be in a few years' time when we will have a structure here that can be satisfactorily devolved to us."

Well, at least we are being talked about!
Comments:
I know that they are petty stories and that is how I have treated them. I thought my ironic comment at the bottom of this post indicated that this was the case.

I certainly have a great deal of sympathy with Rhodri and Edwina and it was very clear to me what they were trying to say. However, as Rhodri is able to laugh at the whole absurd affair then I felt able to as well.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?